BE SUPPORTIVE NOT VIOLENT! POSITIVE PARENTING FOR HAPPY CHILDREN!
The Be Supportive Project is co-financed by the European Commission within the DAPHNE III Programme (reference no. JUST/2010/DAP3/AG/1059-30-CE-0396518/00-42).
Corporal punishment of children is a violation of children’s rights of physical integrity, human dignity and equal protection under the law. The physical and psychological harm caused by violence impacts on the future development of children as confident and independent individuals.
The project “BE supportive, NOT violent! Positive parenting for happy children!” aims at raising awareness on the negative effects of corporal and verbal punishment of children, as well as at promoting positive parenting and non-violent raising of children in all environments (home, school or any other institutional or non-institutional setting).
The project has developed a new model of parenting education that promotes positive and non-violent child raising based on stress and anger management and recognition and empowerment of children’s attitudes, achievements and abilities.
The target groups of the project are: parents, children, teachers and educational staff, professionals, policy makers, NGOs, institutions, religious communities, etc.
The project focuses on parents aged 20 and 55, with educational disadvantage, who have limited access to parental education programmes. They have been involved in the 6 regional workshops and 2 implementations of the new educational model of “Supportive parenthood for happy children” where they have received proper training.
– Research on the national programmes and legislations existing against corporal punishment of children in the European countries, as well as research on children’s experiences of violence in their homes, schools and other settings, in order to have an updated picture of the European situation
– Build on the good practices of positive parenting existing at European level in order to create a new model of parenting education that promotes positive and non-violent child raising based on stress and anger management and recognition and empowerment of children’s attitudes, achievements and abilities
– Develop educational and informational materials both for children and parents, teachers and other carers on children’s rights, negative effects of violence and existing support available for guidance and protection of abused children
– Research and analysis reports
– A new model of parenting education that promotes positive and non-violent raising of children, implementation and evaluation of the new model
– Informative booklets for parents, children and policy makers awareness raising seminars and conferences
– DVD of the project
– Other promotional materials (flyer, poster, brochure)
Website of the project: http://www.besupportive.eu
Romanian Society for Lifelong Learning, (Romania) – coordinator
Save the Children Romania, Dolj Branch (Romania)
Centre Against Abuse “Dardedze” (Latvia)
Nobody’s Children Foundation (Poland)
Municipality of Sassuolo (Italy)
Åmål Municipality (Sweden)
Polibienestar Research Centre, University of Valencia (Spain)